ScottishCinemas.orgARCHIVE & DIRECTORY
Unknown/Other

FORT WILLIAM CINEMA RECORD

Playhouse

High Street

View location on Google Maps
Playhouse, Fort WilliamView full size

Opened 1931 by the Fort William Playhouse Company Ltd. Seating was provided for 678 patrons - the balcony seating around 250 of those.

It was opened by Lady Hermione Cameron of Lochiel, who questioned her own suitability for the job after confessing she had never seen a talkie film and only "two or three" silents! The opening film was "Whoopee", a two-strip Technicolor comedy western staring Eddie Cantor, based on a Broadway show in which he also starred, and feauturing the hit song "Makin' Whoopee".

Part-time bingo two nights a week by 1964, full-time in 1978.

Subsequently demolished.

Last updated: 2/9/26 at 23:20 by gary