ScottishCinemas.orgARCHIVE & DIRECTORY

TOWN COLLECTION

Fort William

6 buildings

6 cinemas recorded in the Scottish Cinemas archive.

5 mapped cinemas · View map →
Open

CAMERON SQUARE FORT WILLIAM PH33 6AJ

Highland Cinema

View location on Google Mapshighlandcinema.co.uk →Highland Cinema, Fort WilliamCourtesy of the Highland Cinema

Built on the site of the 1980s Studio Cinemas and Tourist Information Office, themselves built on the site of the Victorian Town hall which burnt down in 1975, which had screened films in the 1910s and 1920s before the town had a purpose-built cinema. The new Highland Cinema has been designed to reflect a traditional bothy using Ballachulish slate, Glen Nevis stone and parts of an old sheep pen from Blarour Farm. The café bar features a red corrugated roof, covered terrace, wood burning stove and seating for up to 84.

The back of the building houses two state-of-the-art cinema theatres with cutting-edge laser digital projection and 7.1 Dolby Sound Systems.

Screen 1 has a capacity of 109, including two unique seats in a real red Lotus sports car donated by a local businessman. Screen 2 can take up to 62 guests. Stanard and premium seating is offered in both screens. Originally set to open in May 2020, the Highland Cinema was delayed due to Covid-19. Construction began again in July, with final details added in the weeks leading up to the opening on 25th September 2020.

Unknown/Other

High Street

Playhouse

View location on Google MapsPlayhouse, Fort WilliamPhoto (1973) courtesy of Ian McIver.

Opened 1931 by the Fort William Playhouse Company Ltd. Seating was provided for 678 patrons - the balcony seating around 250 of those.

It was opened by Lady Hermione Cameron of Lochiel, who questioned her own suitability for the job after confessing she had never seen a talkie film and only "two or three" silents! The opening film was "Whoopee", a two-strip Technicolor comedy western staring Eddie Cantor, based on a Broadway show in which he also starred, and feauturing the hit song "Makin' Whoopee".

Part-time bingo two nights a week by 1964, full-time in 1978.

Subsequently demolished.

Demolished

Cameron Square

Studios 1 and 2

View location on Google MapsStudios 1 and 2, Fort WilliamGary Painter/ Scottish Cinemas Archive

Built to replace the Town Hall, which was destroyed by fire in 1975 and which had been used for early film screenings in the 1910s and 1920s. Famously used to screen rushes for the film Braveheart, which was partly shot nearby.

Closed in 2006 and demolished in 2018, after which it was replaced by the twin screen Highland Cinema.

DATABASE RECORDS

Other Fort William cinemas

These cinemas are recorded in the database but do not yet have a linked photographic page. Do you have a photo or other information? Email us!

NameAddressWhat we know
Picture HouseOther names: CB PicturesCameron Square Opened 1913 · Town Hall of 1880 (earlier Duncansburgh Church of 1797). Converted, with early film shows. Permanent cinema from 4.13. Renamed, c. 1918. Leasee George Kay. Films probably stopped when George Kay opened the Shalee. Destroyed by fire, 14.12.74. Demolished. · Demolished
ShaleeOther names: LochaberAddress not recordedPoorly documented cinema. Owned by George Kay of Playhouse. Change of name within a year of opening. Cl. following fire, 9.26. · Demolished

Last updated: 2/9/26 at 23:20 by gary