ScottishCinemas.orgARCHIVE & DIRECTORY
Closed/Repurposed

BUCKIE CINEMA RECORD

Playhouse

29, W. Church Street

View location on Google Maps
Playhouse, BuckieView full size

29 West Church Street

This

was owned by the Highland Cinema Co. Ltd, which appears to have been a

subsiduary of CAC, and by 1950 was under the CAC control. The

Highland Cinema Co also controlled several other cinemas - it would

appear that for tax reasons, CAC kept some 'local groups of companies'

separate from the main CAC group. In 1979 CAC had plans drawn up to

split the Playhouse into two with a cinema in the upper half and bingo

down below. No alterations ever took place.

Additional photo of the side of the auditorium

here, and the

rear here.

Now on bingo.

Information and photos courtesy Derek Mathieson.

[Images courtesy of the Scottish Screen Archive at the National Library of Scotland]

Last updated: 29 July 2026