East Church St
Lyceum
Edit ↗View location on Google Maps
Photo courtesy of Harry RigbyEast Church Street
o.before 1914 by James McKay, draper, in McKay's building.
Probably only showed silents. Renovated, reopened 20.10.1919. Entrance now shops.
ScottishCinemas.orgARCHIVE & DIRECTORYTOWN COLLECTION
5 cinemas recorded in the Scottish Cinemas archive.
East Church St
Photo courtesy of Harry RigbyEast Church Street
o.before 1914 by James McKay, draper, in McKay's building.
Probably only showed silents. Renovated, reopened 20.10.1919. Entrance now shops.
Off West Chruch Street
View full-size photographo.Dec 1910. Advert in paper.
29, W. Church Street
Information and photos courtesy Derek Mathieson.29 West Church Street
This
was owned by the Highland Cinema Co. Ltd, which appears to have been a
subsiduary of CAC, and by 1950 was under the CAC control. The
Highland Cinema Co also controlled several other cinemas - it would
appear that for tax reasons, CAC kept some 'local groups of companies'
separate from the main CAC group. In 1979 CAC had plans drawn up to
split the Playhouse into two with a cinema in the upper half and bingo
down below. No alterations ever took place.
Additional photo of the side of the auditorium
here, and the
rear here.
Now on bingo.
Information and photos courtesy Derek Mathieson.
[Images courtesy of the Scottish Screen Archive at the National Library of Scotland]
DATABASE RECORDS
These cinemas are recorded in the database but do not yet have a linked photographic page. Do you have a photo or other information? Email us!
Last updated: 28 July 2026
Edit location ↗