ScottishCinemas.orgARCHIVE & DIRECTORY
Closed/Repurposed

STEVENSTON CINEMA RECORD

Grange

Boglemart Street

View location on Google Maps
Grange, StevenstonView full size

Opened 1939 seating 1200, by architect John Fairweather. Bingo until 2007; demolished mid-2009.

First manager, James J. Timmons

Auditorium, view to screen

Auditorium, view to rear

Foyer

1940s trade magazine

Description from Ideal Kinema Magazine, April 1939:

Archive images courtesy of Michael J. Timmons

Grange, Stevenston On Commanding Corner Site Artistic Interior Decoration

One

of the best examples of the modern provincial kinema is provided in

the Grange at Stevenston, Ayrshire, where the promoter, Harry

Kemp of Saltcoats, controls four other theatres.

Over-elaboration in

the front elevation has been avoided by the architects of the Grange, J

Fairweather and Son, 182, Trongate, Glasgow, whose design, pleasing and

cheerfully modernistic in conception, at the same time is essentially

utilitarian.

Situated on a corner site and facing the main road

through Stevenston, the kinema is in a commanding position with

facilities for easy approach. The building is erected on an oblong

site, the exterior being finished in rough stucco with red asbestos

tiles. A large illuminated marquee provides shelter for patrons booking

seats, over whih the kinema's name is picked out in neon lights set

inside an ornamental pattern, also of neon.

Double glass panelled

entrance doors are set on each side of a centre paybox fitted with

Automaticket machines, and provides admittance to a spacious foyer

which leads directly to the stalls and balcony. The foyer is tastefully

decorated, all doors and woodwork being in light and dark walnut,

illumination being provided from decorative glass fittings fixed to the

ceiling; 1,200 comfortable seats are provided.

The auditorium is

modernistically decorated, the general tone being buff with a walnut

dado. Above the dado is a plastic pattern in gold and brick red

relieved by a green band above. The ventilation and air-warming grills

on either side of the proscenium arch are decorated in gold and red

brick to match. The proscenium itself is decorated with a gold centre

section with brick-red and buff strips to match the general tone, and

having the plastic pattern repeated around the outer edge. The stage

furnishings, which were supplied by Hall and Dixon, comprise velour

curtains and stage draperies, all trimmed appliqued satins. Ornamental

panels round the lower exit doors depit Greek or Roman scenes, forming

a mural decoration.

Above these doors are the ventilation grills for

the supply of either warmed or cooled arir to the auditorium; other

heating is derived from the usual unit heaters.

Lighting for the

main illumination is from suspended chandeliers, six being used in the

ceiling with three smaller units beneath the balcony and individual

units at intervals down the side gangways, a safety lighting system

being installed in case of mains failure.

The spacious projection

box is fitted with two Super Simplex machines on Simplex pedestals, and

Magnarc arc lamps fed from a Westinghouse metal rectifier. Western

Electric K 30 Mirrophonic system provides the sound and non-sync

reproduction. A Strand dimmer panel controls the stage and auditorium

lighting, with the controls conveniently placed for operation, together

with the curtain motor control switches. Tudor Accumulator Co. supplied

the safety lighting batteries.

Last updated: 29 July 2026