James Street
Photos and information courtesy of St Andrews Museum.
The La Scala building was an
old Roman Catholic church formerly situated on the Scores (originally
erected c.1886). A corrugated metal and wood construction – known
locally as the Tin Tabernacle’ – it was transported to the site on
James Street in three sections in 1909 [see photo above]. Officially
named the La Scala, it was town’s only cinema (but also used as dance
hall and roller skating rink) until The Cinema House opened its doors
in 1913. The La Scala building was later used as a fruit and
vegetable store but was demolished c.2001 and there are now flats on
the site.

