ScottishCinemas.orgARCHIVE & DIRECTORY
Demolished

ST ANDREWS CINEMA RECORD

Cinema House

North Street, at Muttoes La.

View location on Google Maps
Cinema House, St AndrewsView full size

North Street

Photo above and information courtesy of St Andrews Museum.

Opened in 1913. Showed the

latest silent films with live orchestral accompaniment for the big’

films and during the tourist season. Sound was installed in 1929.

Competition came in the form of the New Picture House

on the opposite side of North Street in 1934.

The Cinema House closed

suddenly in December 1979 when manager of 51 years, Mr Jack Humphries,

retired. The building was demolished in the early 1980s, and the

site is now occupied by now block of flats.

Picture above shows the façade of The Cinema House with staff taken to

advertise the installation of sound in 1929. From right to left

are: Alex Gourlay (winder boy, later head projectionist), Charles

Findlay (projectionist), Jimmy Mitchell (projectionist), and Jack

Humphries (manager).

Pictures on the left show (upper) the façade of The Cinema House after

closure – building derelict in c.1980, and (lower) the site during

demolition - again courtesy of St. Andrews Museum.

The interior photos below were taken in April 1980, and are courtesy of the Scottish Screen Archive.

Entrance Foyer

Balcony Stair

Auditorium - front

Proscenium

Auditorium - rear

Balcony detail

Side wall detail

Projection facilities

Last updated: 29 July 2026