ScottishCinemas.orgARCHIVE & DIRECTORY
Closed/Repurposed

PORT GLASGOW CINEMA RECORD

Plaza

33, Brown Street

View location on Google Maps
Plaza, Port GlasgowView full size

Port Glasgow Cinemas

The Plaza was opened in 1952, after its empty shell lay uncompleted since 1939.

Original seating was for over 2000, and despite the final opening date, decor was in typical 1930s style.

Now on bingo, with the front covered in ugly corrugated iron.

cinema in Port Glasgow. The plans, originally for a cinema to be called

the Eclipse to seat c.2000, were drawn up by architects Lennox and

McMath, who had also designed cinemas such as the Johnstone Globe and

the Glasgow New Bedford .

The exterior had a deep foyer block, with a 3-storey central section

and boxy facade was punctuated by a series of narrow windows, and a

centrally mounted, vertical PLAZA sign in an italic font.

Construction started in 1939, but was halted by the onset of war,

leaving an empty shell. It was not completed until 1952, opening as the

Plaza. Despite the delay in opening, the internal decoration was still

very much in a 1930s style.

Main Foyer

Balcony Foyer

Four pairs of doors led into the entrance foyer, with waves of terrazzo

decoration on the floor, and three signature cone-shaped light fixtures

hanging from the ceiling. At either side of a main ticket

kiosk, stairs led up to the stalls (on the left) and the stalls and

balcony (on the right). The spacious balcony foyer was originally

appointed with tubular chromed-metal and leather settees. In the floor,

the central compass-shaped feature in the wavy-patterned rubber floor

was a nod to the town's sea-related heritage.

The ceiling and walls of the auditorium, decorated in peach tones,

stepped down towards the screen, with concealed lighting behind the

vertical pillars and roof alcoves. Curtains in turquoise with a floral

border and picked out with butterflies opened to reveal the screen.

Twin horizontal plaster-work strips with a thistle motif led from the

sidewalls to the proscenium, and were mirrored by similar vertical

strips on the ceiling.

Splay walls from balcony

Screen area from balcony

Balcony seating

Stalls and balcony front

The Plaza closed in 1972, and became a County bingo hall. As was their

style, they covered the central portion of the facade with brown

corrugated iron cladding bearing their logo. The stalls area was

levelled and bingo tables installed, but the balcony was left

untouched. Despite the rather rundown external appearance, the interior

appears to have been well-maintained, as can be seen from the photo

galleries.

The Plaza changed hands along with the rest of County's properties in

early 2006, when it was sold to Gala Bingo. In September 2006, Gala

were refurbishing the exterior of the building, and added their own

signage to the facade, and also made other alterations, including

replacing the original main doors. It's a pity the opportunity wasn't

taken to remove the ugly corrugated iron covering the frontage at that

time...

Exterior refurbishments, September 2006

Interior photo galleries below courtesy of Bruce Murray

Foyer Gallery

Auditorium Gallery

Projection room & other spaces Gallery

Last updated: 29 July 2026