ScottishCinemas.orgARCHIVE & DIRECTORY
Closed/Repurposed

PAISLEY CINEMA RECORD

Regal

Other names: ABC – Regal

99, High Street

View location on Google Maps
Regal, PaisleyView full size

The Regal opened on

November 26th, 1934, at a ceremony performed by the Provost. The

opening attraction was the film 'The House of Rothschild'. Plans for

the building by CJ McNair were submitted in 1930, although James McKissack has also been listed in connection with the building.

Paisley's

Most Palatial Super Cinema - The Regal - specially designed to provide

superlatively good entertainment, is certain to achieve an immediate

and overwhelming success. In the spacious comfort that so increases

ones enjoyment - and in an atmosphere of dignified and entrancing

beauty - all the pleasures of perfect entertainment are yours.

Perfect Reproduction is provided by the most modern type of Western

Electric apparatus, incorporating all the latest tangible improvements,

including the new WIDE RANGE System.

The heating and ventilation plant is a marvel of modern engineering. It

provides a constant supply of perished air, which provides a perfectly

wholesome atmosphere.

  • Opening Advert

The cinema featured a Compton organ with an illuminated console. In the

1960s, it was renamed simply the ABC. Bought by CAC in 1978, it regained the name Regal, before finally closing in 1981. It

has been a bingo & social club ever since.

Until recently run by County Bingo, the sale of that company to Gala

has triggered its closure on March 5th, 2006. The future of the building

is now uncertain.

Galleries below courtesy of Bruce Murray

Exterior

Foyers

Auditorium

Other Spaces

Interior photos below courtesy Anonymous Contributor

Interior photos below courtesy of Brian O'Malley

More exterior pics

here,

here and

Ticket from a 1968 showing of Aida, courtesy of Jim Brooks.

Last updated: 29 July 2026