ScottishCinemas.orgARCHIVE & DIRECTORY
Closed/Repurposed

PAISLEY CINEMA RECORD

New Templars’ Hall

Other names: Glen

4, Dyers' Wynd

View location on Google Maps
New Templars’ Hall, PaisleyView full size

Paisley Cinemas

Glen Cinema

The Glen opened as the Royal

Animated Pictures in 1910. In 1929, it was

the site of Scotlands worst cinema distaster, when 71 children died on

Hogmanay after a call of 'fire' resulted in a panicked stampede. A

recent exhibition tells the story, and details are available online

at www.glencinema.org.uk

The building was converted from a Templar Hall, and had a balcony

running around three sides of the auditorium. It seated around 1000

people on wooden benches. The projection room was at the rear of the

stalls.

Closing after the disaster, the building is now used by a variety of

businesses, and partly hidden by a more modern building built in front

in the 1930s. Much of the original plasterwork & decoration

survives above a suspended ceiling in a furniture store.... The

building is B-listed .

For archive photographs,

and a series of pictures of what survives of

the auditorium in 2004, click here .

Archive postcard, undated

Last updated: 29 July 2026