Another exterior photo can be seen
The Odeon Motherwell opened on Hogmanay 1938, designed by the cinema
chain's house architects Andrew
Mather, and originally sat 1,752. The exterior was covered in
cream
faience tiles, later replaced by render. After closing as a cinema in
1975, the building was used as a bingo hall until demolition in 1995.
In the interior picture, courtesy Janice Clark, taken when on bingo,
note the octagonal Odeon clock on the RHS of the proscenium.
This was one of only 3 purpose-built circuit-style Odeon cinemas built in Scotland - the other two were at Hamilton (also now demolished) and Ayr
(still open in 2008). Others Odeons had been planned for Bridgeton,
Dumbarton, Falkirk, Partick, Springburn and Townhead, but these were
never completed due to the start of the Second World War.







