ScottishCinemas.orgARCHIVE & DIRECTORY
Demolished

KIRKWALL CINEMA RECORD

Phoenix

Junction Road

View location on Google Maps
Phoenix, KirkwallView full size

face and illuminated in green rather than red.

To mark the passing of this familiar establishment, Kenny Thomson takes

a look back at Orkneys cinematic history.

Entertainment in Kirkwall, even in the memory of our oldest

inhabitants, never lacked sophistication. During the 1890s there were

the convivial assemblies and in the hey day of Gilbert and Sullivan

various groups produced their own operas, which often were laughter

making local parodies on the originals. There then followed a

graduation from fancy dress balls to charades and eventually magic

lantern shows.

A new era was beginning and the 20th century mind was devising new ways

of entertaining itself, in an atmosphere of scientific progress.

D. B. Peace, a Kirkwall cabinetmaker, was aware of the craving for

modern entertainment within the generation of young folk who were

growing up around him and he began to look at ways of satisfying the

need. He was aware that in the south, roller skating was all the rage

and of

course youthful exuberance called for an active pastime.

With this in mind, he converted his Junction Road wood store into a

roller skating rink in 1910.

Two professional instructors taught the patrons the intricacies of

their art. Round and round they whirled on the fine maple wood floor,

the graceful and the clumsy, tumbling and colliding, with the

clattering of their roller skates drowned out by the music of the brass

band.

Four years later, while storm clouds were gathering over Europe, a

wonderful new art’ was developing. Visitors to Orkney were telling

marvellous tales about the animated pictures which they were seeing.

Some Orcadians had of course already seen moving pictures on the silver

screen, as during the late 1800s, a mobile cinema operated by a man

named Calder, had come to Orkney generally round about the time of the

Lammas Market and this was continued for a short time by a Mr Bell.

On the big bright screens, the early stars including Charlie Chaplin,

complete with his stick and bowler hat, were waging an irresistably

comic war. Another war was beginning in Europe as the Kaiser was

preparing to invade Belgium and in the midst of it all, Mr Peace was

taking home to Orkney his first movie projector, a Gaumont’ machine.

Electric Theatre

The

roller skating rink was replaced by The Electric Theatre, (nowadays

the site of Peaces Car Showroom) which became a wonderland for Orkney

children and the subject of much head shaking discussion by grown ups,

who were upset at the demise of the rink.

For fourteen years The Electric Theatre - with D. B. Peace senior

himself as projectionist, later to be joined in the 1920’s by J. W.

Sinclair (Jimmy Halfo) - was the most popular place of entertainment in

Kirkwall, with unbelievable dramas and tear jerking cinema moralities

flickering over the screen. To the delight of the threepenny seats (a

penny - halfpenny at matinees), cowboys and Indians began to make their

appearance and in simple sagas of good and evil, the children quickly

began to distinguish between the goodies’ and the baddies’.

There was of course no soundtrack to the films as yet, so the musical

accompaniment was provided by pianist Rose Petrie, and Dougie Shearer

once recalled that as time passed, he was promoted to the post of

Musical Director’, which involved playing the old wind up gramophone

at each show, at what he described as a good weekly wage of seven

shillings (35p). Even with musical accompaniment for the films, free

comment’ from all over the hall followed the fortunes of the actors.

As time went by, Dougie's Grandfather paid a visit to the film renters

in Glasgow and while he was there he heard about the new Brunswick

Panatrope - an Electric Gramophone, ideal for the Electric Theatre

which had its own electricity supply from a dynamo powered by a gas

generator.

The Panatrope was housed’ in a steel case with two turntables, BTH

Pickups, 2 volume controls and a change over switch.

A technician from Glasgow installed the equipment which was ideal for

accompanying the silent films and Dougie would use the music Hearts

and Flowers’ for serious love scenes and if there was a chase in the

Cowboys and Indians films he used The Storm’ from the William Tell

Overture.

The

1920’s came and went and Mr Peace decided that the time was right

for him to bring the pictures to the main street. Spectacular

developments were being freely predicted and so in 1928, the

cabinetmakers shop in Albert Street was converted and greatly extended

to house the new cinema.

The public crowded in to the fine new 300 seat Albert Kinema and on the

8th June 1931 for the first time, the audience heard the characters on

the screen talking back.

The first talkie’ at the Albert was Blaze of Glory’. The projection

equipment here was, like The Electric Theatre, Gaumont machines with

BTH lamphouses and Colin Park was one of the projectionists. Alex Leisk

who throughout the war had been with ENSA, joined the Kinema staff as a

projectionist in 1946.

One of the greatest moments in the history of the Albert’ was when it

was chosen to present the world premiere of a film adapted from a book

by an Orkney author and shot in Orkneys famous anchorage of Scapa Flow.

The author Mr J. Storer Clouston and the director Mr Michael Powell

were both present at the first public performance of The Spy In

Black,’ which starred Conrad Veidt.

D. B. Peace guided the fortunes of his cinema for almost 30 years and

when he died in the spring of 1943, his daughter Mrs J. F. Shearer

(along with her sons Tommy and Dougie), took over the management.

Albert Kinema Exterior

Albert Kinema Interior

The Albert’ performed indispensable service to troops and civilians

alike during the war years, with Mrs Shearers tearoom which had been

set up within the Kinema, being removed to make way for extra seating

to accommodate the vast increase in audience numbers attending the

three shows daily - which were helping to counterbalance the grim news

in the Press and on the Radio. Christmas Day at The Albert was always a

family occasion, enjoyed by youngsters and parents alike and this was

the only time of the year when the film start times were governed by

the whereabouts of the ba’ game! If the ba was in Albert Street, the

patrons could not get in – or out of the Kinema.

Just as people were beginning to forget the wild thunder of guns around

the Flow’ and the tramp of army boots in Albert Street, a tragedy

occurred.

Demolition of

Albert Kinema (1970s)

On

the morning of Thursday May 8th 1947, flames were seen shooting from

the upper windows of the Kinema by Boots the Chemists storeman Mr John

Cooper and soon half the town was out to watch the fire hoses swishing

back and forth, in an unsuccessful attempt to subdue the blaze. The

crackling of the asbestos roof lining could be heard from as far away

as Kirkwall Golf Course. It was some blaze recalled Dougie Shearer,

who had watched the inferno from the upstairs of his home next door to

the Kinema.

Such was the ferocity of the blaze that there was fear of

nearby premises catching light. The business of A. M. Morgan had to

move their stock of gun ammunition to safety for fear of explosion. In

an hour or so all that was left of The Albert Kinema was a burnt out

shell and for the first time since 1914, no one could go to the

pictures.

Elma Wilson from Sanday

recalled that she had travelled in to

Kirkwall especially to see the film Tarzan Escapes’, but the fire put

paid to her plans.

Kirkwall wasn’t without a

cinema for too long though, as the Temperance

Hall (now Orkney Arts Theatre) which had operated as a Royal Navy

Cinema during the war, was leased and for eight years until May 1955

the management maintained a regular service to its patrons, striving

hard to counteract the difficulties of limited seating and the

disadvantages of a building never intended for a cinema. In the

knowledge that a new cinema would eventually be built, the management

decided in 1951 to equip the Temperance Hall with two new British

Thomson Houston (BTH) Projectors which would eventually be transferred

to the new cinema.

The task of erecting a new building to replace the Albert Kinema was a

frustrating one, as the authorities would not allow the building of a

new cinema on the Albert Street site and so a fresh location had to be

found.

Many sites were considered, including The Keelies just off Victoria

Road Kirkwall (now an allotment) - but most were unsuitable in one way

or another. Finally, Kirkwall Town Council agreed to grant the use of a

site at The Crafty where the new’ cinema opened on Tuesday June 14th

1955, rising figuratively from the ashes of the old. It was almost

inevitable that this new picture house’, far exceeding in equipment

anything which had preceded it in Kirkwall, should be called The

Phoenix’.

The BTH Projectors were transferred to the new cinema and upgraded, in

order that they could handle the latest development in movie

entertainment - Cinemascope films. High intensity carbon arc lamps with

14.5 inch mirrors were fitted in order to cope with the large screen 29

ft wide by 16 ft in height. Engineers from Glasgow called to service’

the machines every six weeks for their first few years of operation and

these machines ran for nearly 50 years with only one major breakdown in

that time.

Temperance Hall

Temperance Hall Interior

Temperence Hall today as

Orkney Arts Centre

Phoenix

construction photos gallery

The special screen of

curved construction was made from a toughened

plastic material, large enough to accommodate Cinemascope films but

decreased in size for standard films by means of an automatically

controlled black masking curtain. Before each performance, the

beautiful silver – grey eleven drape satin front curtain was raised

gently at the touch of a button in the projection room.

Coloured

lighting was projected on to the curtain from the stage footlights and

the lighting cove in the proscenium arch, giving a variety of colour

combinations. It was once said by a regular patron that he didn’t care

what film was showing, it was worth going to The Phoenix just to watch

the beautiful illuminated curtain and its sequence of changing colours!

The Phoenix Cinema was

erected by Mr Peace’s son - also named D.B.Peace

(Junior) - in conjunction with the Shearer family, to provide better

film entertainment for Orkney and to keep abreast of whatever the great

art of the cinema might have in store.

The 650 seat Phoenix

Cinema, a Stadium’ style cinema, was part of the

company of D.B. Peace and Co. (Pictures) Ltd of which D. B. Peace Jnr.

was the head, and was officially opened by Provost James Flett of

Kirkwall,

who described it as a magnificent building, a credit to the management

and to the town.

The project was perhaps the most costly venture ever undertaken by a

private Kirkwall firm at that time.

Building construction

Orkney Builders Ltd.

Site Checking

T. Firth, Colwyn, Kirkwall

Foundation Testing

R. Findlay and Sons Junction Road, Kirkwall

Foundation

James Drever, Cliffdale, Cromwell Road, Kirkwall

Electrical and Plumbing Work

J. Rendall and Son, Laing Street, Kirkwall

Plaster Work

Andrew Tait, Cannola, Old Scapa Road, Kirkwall

Decorating

George Bain, Broad Street, Kirkwall

Carpeting and Floorcoverings

James Tait and Sons Broad Street, Kirkwall

Clerk of Works

John S. Flett, Bignold Park Road, Kirkwall

Solicitors

Macrae and Robertson, Albert Street, Kirkwall

Accountants

Foubister and Bain, Broad Street, Kirkwall

Once

the introductions and speeches were over, the lights dimmed, the

curtain slowly lifted and the specially invited audience were treated

to the first film performance, Doctor In The House’ starring Dirk

Bogard. It was a nerve racking time for Projectionist Alex Leisk who

was always a perfectionist at what he did. The copy of the film

dispatched from the distributors in Glasgow was in rather poor

condition and not really suitable for showing at this special opening

ceremony.

However Alex managed to check and splice the film and it ran

without mishap. Notwithstanding, Alex was sick with worry! It was

extremely important that the first public show should proceed without a

hitch. Films were shown Monday to Saturday with two performances daily,

the first house’ at 5.30pm., the second at 8pm and three main

programme changes every week. In addition there were matinees on

Wednesday and Saturday afternoons, with the occasional late show at

10.30 on Friday evenings.

Opening Announcement

Phoenix Cinema

Gallery

Until

the mid-sixties, the Saturday afternoon matinees were very

popular with the Children and many an Orkney parent was happy to

bundle’ the kids off to The Phoenix for a couple of hours while they

went shopping. When the feature lighting on the curtain changed to red,

the kids knew that the performance was about to commence and a gigantic

roar could be heard from the auditorium. Weekly serials such as Batman

and Robin, had the youngsters on the edge of their seats, ending each

episode on a cliffhanger’ so that you had to come back the following

week to see what had happened. You did not dare miss an episode. The

main features for the matinees were generally films made by The

Childrens Film Foundation.

In the projection box was Alex Leisk (whose career in films was to span

some 30 years), Mac Johnston and Dougie Shearer, with Billy Scollie

joining the team in 1963 as apprentice’. In 1964 Billy took over the

Wednesday evening and Saturday afternoon film shows in Stromness Town

Hall from Bunt’ Knight, operating the service with two Ross projectors

which had been made in the 1930’s. Billy showed the films, which the

week previous had been screened at The Phoenix, independently with full

permission from the Phoenix management.

At the cinema cash desk was Rene Shearer, with her sisters Liane and

Ella running the shop. Edgar Cook was to be found on duty at the door,

along with D. B. Peace Jnr., later to be followed by Bob Craigie and

Bill Raeburn amongst others, with Margaret Roxby, Vina Macgillivray,

Bertha Archbold and June Bews as usherettes. Jock Mears was employed as

cleaner and night watchman.

The ordering of films was a task usually carried out by Dougie Shearer,

who received film travellers from such distributors as The Rank

Organisation, Warner Brothers, British Lion, Columbia Pictures, MGM,

Twentieth Century Fox plus some others. Some years ago he recalled with

a smile, the time when he had six of the travellers to see in one day.

Only the unflappable’ Dougie Shearer could handle such a situation!

The arrival of Grampian Television in 1966 had a significant effect on

audience figures and to try and counter this, Tuesdays and Fridays were

given over to Bingo, which really went against the grain as far as

D.B.Peace Jnr. was concerned. The Bingo evenings literally saved the

day’ at least for a while and were supervised by Mac Johnston who acted

as Bingo Caller and who had agreed to help out temporarily until

someone permanent was found. Mac held this temporary’ post for

fourteen years!

Films were therefore cut to 4 days each week, Monday, Wednesday,

Thursday and Saturday.

With the advent of colour television in the seventies, the cinema

audiences were further depleted, although films such as Grease’,

Saturday Night Fever’, Jaws’ and E.T. The Extra Terrestrial’ did

excellent business, proving that if the product was good, the people

would turn out. Video had appeared on the scene by the early eighties

and was almost the final nail in the coffin when film performances were

further cut to two nights weekly.

This unfortunate downturn continued, leaving the Shearer family no

option but to sell the Phoenix in October 1985 to Orkney Islands

Council, effectively ending their 73 year association with cinema in

Orkney.

It seemed apparent at the time, that this was indeed the end of

picture going’ in Orkney in general, but a new company was formed

called Orkney Entertainments Limited, who indicated their interest in

leasing the Phoenix from Orkney Islands Council for the purpose of

running film shows twice weekly. The Council supported this proposal

and film shows re-commenced during November 1985. At this point it was

considered necessary to install a large stage for concerts and this was

added in the auditorium at the expense of 100 or so stalls seats. Some

time later, the cinemas sound system was upgraded to ultra stereo

surround sound’ which significantly enhanced the audio enjoyment for

the public. Apart from this, very little changed over the years, the

original chandeliers in the foyer were replaced with fluorescent strip

lighting, the illuminated flower boxes above the cash desk and shop

kiosk were removed and in the projection room, the slide projector

which enabled messages to be flashed up on the screen was removed along

with a 16mm film projector on which were run the local newsreels filmed

by Dougie himself.

There were plans to convert the Phoenix into a theatre and transfer the

cinema to the Arts Theatre in Mill Street, but this never got off the

ground.

When Satellite Television came on the go, the commercial viability once

again was severely tested and in 1992 Orkney Islands Council Education

and Recreation Department itself took control of the film shows and

with Billy Scollie as Projectionist / Manager, a regular service

continued. Billy had many fond memories of The Phoenix and was

especially pleased to be projectionist for the film Venus Peter’,

which premiered at The Phoenix on Midsummers day 1989 as part of The St

Magnus Festival.

Billys favourite films included the 1970’s Sun Classic films starring

Dan Haggerty as Grizzly Adams’ and the epic movies such as Ben Hur

along with the old westerns and magnificent musicals, all sadly gone

from the screens these days.

Dougie Shearer, whose favourite film of all time was Singing In The

Rain’, maintained an interest in and was a regular visitor to the

cinema even after it was sold to Orkney Islands Council. The Phoenix

had screened over 5,000 films in its 43 years and topping the charts as

the number one film was Grease which attracted an audience of 4,220 on

its first run in September 1978, beating the previous best for Jaws in

April 1977.

Over the years many well known personalities have graced the Phoenix

stage: Robert Wilson, Jimmy Shand, Jim Macleod, The Corries, Bridie

Gallagher, Ruby Murray, Edwin Heath (Hypnotist), Boxcar Willie, Susan

McCann, Philomena Begley, Hank Locklin, Manson Grant and The Dynamos,

Colorado, the 114 strong National Youth Orchestra of Scotland, Boxing

and Wrestling Matches, plus the ever popular Miss Orkney Talent

Contests, and in more recent years, Del Amitri, The Indians, Billy

Connolly and Barbara Dixon, but to name just a few. Many local bands

made their first appearance at The Phoenix and went on to greater

things.

Phoenix

Records produced a number of discs in the 1960’s including

Owre The Ferry’, Orkney Goes Dancing With The Vikings’, Billy Jolly

Sings’ etc etc. The recording engineer was Bert Stockan and the actual

recordings were made in the cinema itself. The record sleeve

photographs were the work of the multi talented Dougie Shearer who

combined the art of photography with a keen interest in sound recording

as well. A point worthy of note is that Dougie was actually following a

family tradition, as his Grandfather D. B. Peace Senior, used to make

sound recordings back in the old days, on an Edison Bell machine with

cylindrical discs.

Dougies skill as a keen photographer, led him, along

with his nephew Donald, to create a photography business which was

called Phoenix Photos, concentrating on commercial, wedding and

newspaper photography. Their famous photograph of a Loganair Islander

aircraft flying past The Old Man of Hoy, featured prominently on

Loganair publicity for many years. The photography business expanded

and two darkrooms were created in the cinema, one beside the projection

room and one at the stage end of the building where most of the colour

work was processed.

The Phoenix, with all the character of a 1950’s style cinema sadly came

to the end of its working life on 28th November 1998. Many people will

have their own memories of favourite films, or concerts, perhaps even

bingo. For a goodly number of Orkney folk, it has always been there and

was the most northerly working cinema in the U.K.

Special nostalgic’ events took place during the cinemas emotional

final week of operation in November 1998 and this included a bingo

evening on Tuesday 24th November, and a concert, Farewell To The

Phoenix’ on Friday evening 27th November, featuring a host of local

talent. The last picture shown was the war time drama The Land Girls’

on Saturday 28th November and once the final image had flickered from

the screen, Dougie Shearer, the former owner of the cinema who had been

invited along by the staff for the evening, closed the doors of what

had been his pride and joy’ for the very last time.

Phoenix Closure

Gallery

Prior to the final show, Dougie Shearer on behalf of The Phoenix Staff,

presented the Projectionist / Manager Billy Scollie with a framed

photograph of the cinema auditorium taken by Mr W. Marr prior to its

opening in 1955.

Phoenix Cinema Demolition Gallery

New Phoenix Cinema

In the spring of 1999 a

New Phoenix rose up from the old in the shape

of a fully equipped modern cinema at the new Pickaquoy Sports Centre –

The New Phoenix Cinema ensures that the work of D.B.Peace Senior,

D.B.Peace Junior, Dougie Shearer and Billy Scollie will carry on and

that Orkney still has a cinema of its own. This in itself is a tribute

to those who have given most of their lives to providing thousands of

Orkney folk with a night out at the pictures’.

At the farewell concert James Oliver Alexander paid a very fitting

tribute to the Phoenix:-

FAREWELL

TO THE PHOENIX

You arose from the ashes

of the

Albert Kinema’,

You once were the North’s

most

popular cinema

But like all men you are

doomed

to perish,

Tho’ the mem’ries we have

we

will always cherish.

We entered your door and

paid

our money,

Had a kiss and a cuddle

at the

back of the balcony-

And in the stalls, when

we were

boys

Got threatened with

eviction

for makin’ a noise

The image of our idols on

the

silver screen

And live: Rock Bands’

Daniel

and Ann Breen

Miss Orkney contests and

Talent

Show,

The first recording of

Scapa

Flow’.

Every year at the St

Magnus

Festival

National Orchestras grand

and

classical.

Orkney’s own orchestra

and choir

In that great Oratorio

Handel’s Messiah’

We remember too the two

little

ducks’

The two fat ladies’ and

Clickity – click’.

You may have forgotten

Mickey

Mouse

But you’ll remember the

night

you shouted House’

Some will have many more

mem’ries to tell

We all loved you!! We

will all

miss you!

Phoenix, Farewell!

Farewell!

Footnote

The signs which were originally

above the door of The Electric Theatre which opened in 1914 have been

sympathetically restored by Mr Harold Esson from Dounby and at Dougie

Shearers request these signs are now on display at Harolds museum.

Additional photos of the Phoenix can be seen here .

Last updated: 14/8/26 at 18:10 by gbarr