ScottishCinemas.orgARCHIVE & DIRECTORY
Demolished

KIRKCALDY CINEMA RECORD

Rio

33 St Clair Street, Kirkcaldy

View location on Google Maps
Rio, KirkcaldyView full size

Opened on the 1st February 1937, in the presence of Provost Wilson, with the inaugural feature being "Laughing Irish Eyes". About 1,300 seats were provided in the stalls and a further 700 in the balcony.

It was, it is claimed, the first cinema in Scotland to be illuminated internally with the ever-changing Holophane lighting system.

The owners were Scottish Central Cinemas, a subsidiary of Caledonian Associated Cinemas. Later converted to a bingo club run by Kingsway, it was badly damaged by a fire in the early hours of 21st October 1979 and demolished very shortly thereafter.

A new purpose-built bingo hall was erected in its place which opened in September 1981 and was claimed to be Scotland's biggest. It closed around 2015 and the building is now a soft play centre.

Last updated: 3/9/26 at 21:36 by gary