ScottishCinemas.orgARCHIVE & DIRECTORY

TOWN COLLECTION

Irvine

10 buildings

10 cinemas recorded in the Scottish Cinemas archive.

3 mapped cinemas · View map →
Demolished

Address not recorded

Magnum Film Centre

Magnum Film Centre, IrvinePictures of the foyer courtesy Graham Kelly:

The

cinema opened (along with the rest of the centre) on

September 18, 1976. Originally it showed only arthouse films

thanks to a tie-in with the GFT, but this was not a financial

success. The last film shown there was "The Hulk" on Sunday 17th

August 2003. Films are no longer shown, although the cinema can still

be hired

for private viewings, and the auditorium is regularly used as a

theatre. Seating was 323 on opening, now 311 to give space for

wheelchair users.

Closed/Repurposed

Bank Street

Picturedrome

Other names: Rex – George – WMR Film Centre – Rex – George – WMR Film Centre

View location on Google MapsPicturedrome/Rex/George/WMR Film Centre / Rex / George / WMR Film Centre, IrvineView full-size photograph

Green's Picturedrome / Rex / George / WMR

Film Centre

Bank Street

Photo courtesy Graham Kelly

Opened as the Green's

Picturedrome around 1912, seating 708. Later called

the Rex, and (from 1976) the George. William Mather ran it as the WMR

from

around 1983. Stadium style-arrangement. Cinema closed in 2001.

Now Pitchers nightclub, which opened 24 September 2003 after a spell of dereliction.

Photo of the exterior after closure

Re-opening night programme and images below courtesy of Bill Mather:

1.

2.

3.

4.

5.

6.

  1. Interior just after re-opening as the WMR Film Centre in September 1983
  1. Projection room & Bill Mather
  1. Retirement photo of Eric Vickers kneeling, from his visit to Glasgow.

L/R.

Brian Kirk, Brian Kemp (2nd left back of Saltcoats La Scala/Regal),

Donald Macphale Scottish sales for Rank Film Distributors, Bill Mather,

Derek Cameron (Dominion Edinburgh), ??? and Roy Graham Director of

sales Rank FD London HO.

4.

Chief projectionist Alex Girvan passing his time between matinee/eve

shows with his fiddle practice; taken in 1984. He was one of the old

timers and Bill Mather took him over from George Palmer. He originated

from the Inverness cinema scene, & was 2nd projectionist at the

"Orient Ayr" before coming to the George.

  1. A view from the rear

auditorium of the 35ft CinemaScope screen.This was almost wall to wall.

Bill Mather sitting in the back row.

  1. Photo from 1988 with the annual "underprivileged" Christmas treat given every year with the Rotary Club of Irvine.

Archive image of it as Green's Picturedrome below, courtesy of the Cinema Theatre Association Archive (Tony Moss Collection)

Unknown/Other

Bank Street

Picturedrome

Other names: Rex – George – WMR Film Centre

View location on Google MapsPicturedrome/Rex/George/WMR Film Centre, IrvineView full-size photograph

Green's Picturedrome / Rex / George / WMR

Film Centre

Bank Street

Photo courtesy Graham Kelly

Opened as the Green's

Picturedrome around 1912, seating 708. Later called

the Rex, and (from 1976) the George. William Mather ran it as the WMR

from

around 1983. Stadium style-arrangement. Cinema closed in 2001.

Now Pitchers nightclub, which opened 24 September 2003 after a spell of dereliction.

Photo of the exterior after closure

Re-opening night programme and images below courtesy of Bill Mather:

1.

2.

3.

4.

5.

6.

  1. Interior just after re-opening as the WMR Film Centre in September 1983
  1. Projection room & Bill Mather
  1. Retirement photo of Eric Vickers kneeling, from his visit to Glasgow.

L/R.

Brian Kirk, Brian Kemp (2nd left back of Saltcoats La Scala/Regal),

Donald Macphale Scottish sales for Rank Film Distributors, Bill Mather,

Derek Cameron (Dominion Edinburgh), ??? and Roy Graham Director of

sales Rank FD London HO.

4.

Chief projectionist Alex Girvan passing his time between matinee/eve

shows with his fiddle practice; taken in 1984. He was one of the old

timers and Bill Mather took him over from George Palmer. He originated

from the Inverness cinema scene, & was 2nd projectionist at the

"Orient Ayr" before coming to the George.

  1. A view from the rear

auditorium of the 35ft CinemaScope screen.This was almost wall to wall.

Bill Mather sitting in the back row.

  1. Photo from 1988 with the annual "underprivileged" Christmas treat given every year with the Rotary Club of Irvine.

Archive image of it as Green's Picturedrome below, courtesy of the Cinema Theatre Association Archive (Tony Moss Collection)

DATABASE RECORDS

Other Irvine cinemas

These cinemas are recorded in the database but do not yet have a linked photographic page. Do you have a photo or other information? Email us!

NameAddressWhat we know
EmpireAddress not recordedFurther information needed.
Institute HallAddress not recordedBuilding type: hall · Opened: 1911 · Closed: 1912 · Source: Bio 06.04.11, The Bioscope 18.01.12, The Bioscope 18.04.12 · Coordinates: 55.620159, -4.661482 · Info from EarlyCinema.org.uk
PalaceBridgegate Further information needed.
Palace Picture HouseBridgegate Run by John Martin Blair and booked at Hillhead Salon in Glasgow. · Coordinates: 55.614926, -4.668481 · Info from EarlyCinema.org.uk
PavilionWest Road Coordinates: 55.615172, -4.669522 · Info from EarlyCinema.org.uk
Pavilion CinemaWest Road Reference Builder 13 May 1921 Page 635 Reference Scotsman Thursday 7 September 1922 Page 4 IRVINE - At the Dean of Guild Court plans were presented for alterations to be carried out by Mr Albert Strong on billiard rooms in West-road, Irvine, for the purpose of converting them into a picture house capable of accommodating about 1,000 people. The estimated cost of the alterations is £2,200. [Builder 13 May 1921 Page 635] PROPERTY MARKET: GLASGOW Out of nine properties exposed at the weekly Glasgow market in the Faculty Hall yesterday, three were sold all at substantial advances on the upset prices ........ Irvine, West Road. Pavilion Picture House. No Feu Duty, upset price £1,500. Realised £1,600 [Scotsman Thursday 7 September 1922 Page 4] · Unbuilt ?
RegalOther names: GeorgeChapel Lane Operator: GP · o. 1922. Sold to George Palmer following loss of Embassy, c. 1969. Renamed. Compulsorily purchased for shops, early 70s. · Demolished

Last updated: 19/8/26 at 19:15 by gbarr