ScottishCinemas.orgARCHIVE & DIRECTORY

TOWN COLLECTION

Helensburgh

4 buildings

4 cinemas recorded in the Scottish Cinemas archive.

4 mapped cinemas · View map →
Open

Colquhoun Square

Tower

Other names: Tower Picture House

View location on Google Mapssavethetower.co.uk →Tower / Tower Picture House, HelensburghBruce Peter.

Opened as the Tower Picture House in 1927 by John Maxwell Brown with seating for 809 and a small stage with two dressing rooms.

Sold to Scottish Cinema and Variety Theatres/ABC in 1932.

Closed following storm damage on 15th January 1968. Demolished around 1973. The name was later re-used for a cinema operation in the former St Columba Church in the town in the 2010s.

Open

83 Sinclair Street, Helensburgh, G84 8TR

Tower Digital Arts Centre

View location on Google Mapssavethetower.co.uk →
No photograph is currently available for Tower Digital Arts Centre, Helensburgh

Originally the St Columba Church of 1861, this complex of buildings was purchased after religious use came to an end in 2011. They were acquired by technology entrepreneur Brian Keating, who wanted to set up a submarine museum in the premises, given that Helensburgh is the closest large town to the UK's Faslane Submarine Base. In 2015, this was supplemented by a live events space but this was not successful and cinema operation followed a year later. Originally housing two screens, a third was added in 2023.

Covid hit the venue particularly hard and the owner decided to retire in 2024. The venue closed at the end of May 2024, but the community immediately rallied to save the facility. Applications to the Scottish Land Fund led to successful grant funding in 2024 and 2025 and on 1st April 2026, the building was purchased by the campaigners.

Closed/Repurposed

8 James Street, Helensburgh

La Scala

View location on Google Mapsambertaverns.co.uk →La Scala, HelensburghScottish Cinemas Archive

The La Scala opened in December 1913, originally seating almost 700. The auditorium was largely stadium in style, with narrow slips leading to the screen from the rear stalls. A tiny balcony consisted just of 5 private boxes, while films were projected from the back of the stalls.

The original screen was 20ft x 15ft, surrounded by a curved proscenium.

Talkies were shown from 1930, and the cinema continued largely unchanged until the early 1980s, when the building was split to create a snooker hall on a newly created upper floor, and a small cinema seating around 160 at the rear of the building.

The cinema closed in 1984, but snooker continued, accompanied by amusements, until the 1990s.

La Scala was C-listed by Historic Scotland in 1993. Of the original features, only portions of the ceiling decoration and some stained glass windows on the facade were known to survive by then.

Plans were mooted on for a possible re-opening and use of the building as a community resource and cinema in the early 2000s, but sadly they come to nothing, and planning permission was granted for restaurant/pub use,

Work began on the conversion in August 2006 and the building re-opened as a pub called The Logie Baird on Wednesday 11th of April 2007. John Logie Baird, one of the pioneers in the invention of television, was born in the town. The pub closed its doors in 2019 and lay empty for a spell before refurbishment and re-opening in January 2026 as another pub called The Comet. Named after one of the Europe's first commercially successful paddle steamships, the PS Comet was devised by Henry Bell and plied its trade on the Clyde between Helensburgh, Greenock and Glasgow from 1812.

The pub conversion was largely built within a modern box structure, with nothing of the original auditorium on view - it is not known if the original auditorium plasterwork survives behind this anywhere,

Many thanks to Phil Worms for his photos and assistance.

Demolished

John Street

Picture Palace

Other names: Cine Electric Picture House – Plaza

View location on Google MapsPicture Palace / Cine Electric Picture House / Plaza, HelensburghView full-size photograph

Opened in March 1911 in a purpose-built corrugated metal, wooden-framed structure, lending a certain irony to its original name of the Picture Palace.

Re-named the Cine Electric Picture House on the 14th April 1913. Converted into a ballroom known as the Plaza. Popular with local servicemen who named it the Honky Tonk. Demolished around 1970 and replaced with flats.

Last updated: 25/8/26 at 00:16 by gary