ScottishCinemas.orgARCHIVE & DIRECTORY
Closed/Repurposed

GLASGOW CINEMA RECORD

White Elephant

42, Kilmarnock Road

View location on Google Maps
White Elephant, GlasgowView full size

White Elephant / Elephant

42 Kilmarnock Road, Shawlands

The White

Elephant cinema opened

in 1927, and was designed by architect H. Barnes for eccentric Glasgow

cinema magnate AE Pickard. In its original configuration, it had

seating for around 1900, part of a complex also featuring a ballroom,

restaurant and car park. The auditorium was entered from beneath the

proscenium, rather than from the rear as was more normal.

The unusual name was the result of a competition, and was changed to

just Elephant when the cinema was sold to AB King in 1934. A

CinemaScope screen was installed in the 1950s.

When it was converted to shops after closure in 1960, the facade was

refaced and slightly cut down - the stonework finish was originally

similar to the ballroom section (now a club) visible on the far left of

the photo above. The entrance to the car park is under this section as

well. A picture of the exterior of the auditorium block can be found

A view of the interior as a cinema is

here, courtesy of the Cinema Theatre Association archive.

Click on

the booklet on the

left to see the full contents, describing some of the films that were

showing in Shawlands' Supreme Cinema in March 1928.

References

100 Years of Glasgow's Glorious Cinemas, Bruce Peter, Polygon, 1996.

The Glasgow Story

website page on the cinema, with an photo of the original exterior, can

be found here .

Last updated: 31/7/26 at 17:47 by editor