ScottishCinemas.orgARCHIVE & DIRECTORY
Demolished

GLASGOW CINEMA RECORD

Tivoli

Other names: Classic

53, Crow Road

View location on Google Maps
Tivoli, GlasgowView full size

Glasgow Cinemas - Tivoli

Photo above c1980 courtesy Chris Doak

Opened

in April 1929, the

Tivoli seated 1,915. It was designed by the Dumbarton-based architects

Denny and Blain for the Thomas Ormiston chain.

Front Elevation

Rear Elevation

Long Section

Cross-section

Block Plan

Balcony Plan

Plans courtesy of the Scottish Screen Archive at the National Library of Scotland.

At some point after

1930, the exterior was extended forward to create a larger entrance

hall. Projection was from the rear of the stalls, and there was a large

open hallway behind the balcony. The auditorium featured side boxes.

Exterior

View to screen

View to rear

Archive photos courtesy of Bruce Peter

Glasgow's Wonder Cinema - in May 1930. (Many thanks to Frank Watson).

It was sold to the Classic chain and renamed Classic in 1967; it

finally closed in February 1972, and became a County bingo hall.

Exterior as Classic

Exterior as County Bingo

Some

photos of the interior from the bingo period can be seen here , courtesy of Bruce Murray. A 1992 exterior photo can be seen

here, courtesy of Norrie

Projection images courtesy of Frank Watson.

01

02

03

04

01 - 2 GK21 Projectors and President Carbon Arcs

02 - No.2 GK21 Projector and President Carbon Arc Lamp

03 - Valve Amplifier Racks and on right NOn-Sync & Projectomatic Automation

  • 4 x 9 Wet Type Dimmers in 4 colours, all stage, orchestra pit, organ

grilles and all auditorium lighting. Could all be lit in different

colours, hand-operated but motorised for Projectomatic. Rewind Bench on

right.

The Tivoli was demolished in the late 1990s, and housing built on the site.

Last updated: 29 July 2026