ScottishCinemas.orgARCHIVE & DIRECTORY
Demolished

GLASGOW CINEMA RECORD

New Savoy

Hope Street / Renfrew St

View location on Google Maps
New Savoy, GlasgowView full size

Opened as a music hall in

December 1911. Architect was James Miller, and there was seating for

2,000 in three circles. Converted to a cinema for the Biocolour Circuit, December 1916 by

architect George Boswell. This involved removing the stage and building a new proscenium further back, as at the Coliseum.

Sold

to Gaumont, 1927. Modernised, August

  1. From 1935, it featured a 2/7 Christie Organ, originally installed

in

the Tivoli in Partick from 1929-1935, then installed here until closure

in 1958. The instrument was purchased (when the New Savoy closed)

by Doctor H. Cooper Ward of Edinburgh, and broken down for parts. The

8' Tuba rank and its 16' Trombone extension were purchased by Hugh

Graham (an Edinburgh organist) for installation in a church in

Grangemouth.

Cinema exterior

Cinema Interior

Organ Console

Ballroom Interior

Closed

in September 1958, the building was converted to the Majestic Ballroom.

The foyer was removed and kitchens ran at the back right up to the main

doors.

The entrance was moved to a small doorway to the right of the

main facade. The lane to the left was utilised, the auditorium being

extended sideways into the space. The main girder of the first circle

was retained, but most of the rest of it removed to provide the smaller

balcony. Everything else hidden above a suspended false ceiling.

The ballroom closed

in January 1972, and the building was demolished to make way for the

Savoy shopping centre.

Last updated: 29 July 2026