ScottishCinemas.orgARCHIVE & DIRECTORY
Closed/Repurposed

GLASGOW CINEMA RECORD

Mecca

Other names: Vogue

124, Balmore Road, Possil

View location on Google Maps
Mecca, GlasgowView full size

Mecca / Vogue

Balmore Road, Possil

Opening as the Mecca in August

1933, the Mecca was designed by James McKissack for Smith and Welsh. It

originally seated 1,620. In January 1950 it was sold to the Singleton

circuit, and renamed Vogue.

The Vogue remained a cinema until April 1968, when it went over to full

time bingo.

The opening of a modern

purpose-built bingo hall nearby eventually saw the end of bingo at the

Vogue. The building has sat derelict since the late 1990s, but appears

to have been kept secure and watertight.

In January 2005, the cracks in the exterior rendering were repaired,

the canopy removed, new roller shutters were fitted over all the ground

floor doors and

windows, and futher repairs have been made to the roof. Unfortunately,

as can be seen from the latest picture above, both the sandstone

portions and faience tiles have been painted over as well. The

condition of the interior is unknown.

A side view of the auditorium exterior, showing the patched roof, can

be seen

An exterior from 1982 can be seen

here, courtesy Chris Doak.

Pictures of the exterior from February 2002, prior to the recent

repairs and repainting, are available

here,

and

Last updated: 16/8/26 at 09:48 by gbarr