ScottishCinemas.orgARCHIVE & DIRECTORY
Demolished

GLASGOW CINEMA RECORD

Lyric Theatre

60, Sauchiehall Street

View location on Google Maps
Lyric Theatre, GlasgowView full size

Royalty / Lyric Theatre

Opened in 1879, the exterior of

the building was by James Thomson, and housed offices, shops and a

hotel. Inside, there was a 2,000 seat theatre designed by Frank

Matcham, who would later design the Empire across the road. In 1884,

ownership passed to the ubiquitous Howard and Wyndham, then by the

First World War, it was sold again to the Scottish Playgoers Company,

who renamed it the Lyric, and used it for rep. The whole building

passed to the YMCA in 1914, with the hotel used to house soldiers, and

the theatre became a cinema for them, returning to amateur dramatics

after the war. Full-time theatre use did not return until 1936, and

despite a pause for WWII, it continued in use as a theatre and lecture

hall until 1953, when a fire on stage demonstrated the importance of

putting the safety curtain down - it wasn't, and the auditorium was

gutted. Surprisingly, the theatre was rebuilt, but the costs were huge,

and the building was sold in 1959, eventually being demolished for St.

Andrew's House.

Last updated: 29 July 2026