ScottishCinemas.orgARCHIVE & DIRECTORY
Closed/Repurposed

GLASGOW CINEMA RECORD

La Scala

147-163, Sauchiehall Street

View location on Google Maps
La Scala, GlasgowView full size

La Scala

147 - 163 Sauchiehall Street, City Centre

The La Scala opened in October

1912, in a conversion of an exisiting warehouse building. The design,

by architects Duff & McKissack, seated 1,000 in an auditorium that

also featured a restaurant.

The cinema was twinned in 1976, and a third screen was added in the

cafe area in 1978. By the time it closed in May 1984, it seated 650,

250 and 110. By this time, the entrance had been much altered, with the

original pillars and covered and the large stained glass window covered

with a huge sign made up of shimmering yellow and gold circles.

Converted into a Waterstones

bookshop in the 1990s, the interior was effectively gutted, although

the entrance pillars and stained glass window have been restored.

Then and Now

Archive photos above from May 1984 courtesy of John and David Anderson

Photos below from 1982 courtesy Chris Doak

Gallery of interior photos here , courtesy of the Scottish Screen Archive at the National Library of Scotland.

Last updated: 16/8/26 at 09:47 by gbarr