ScottishCinemas.orgARCHIVE & DIRECTORY
Closed/Repurposed

GLASGOW CINEMA RECORD

Hillhead Picture Salon

Other names: Salon

17, Vinicombe Street

View location on Google Maps
Hillhead Picture Salon, GlasgowView full size

Hillhead Salon Cinema, Vincicombe Street

17 Vinicombe Street, Hillhead

The original plans for

Hillhead's 'Proposed Electric Theatre', dated December 1912, are by

architects Brand and Lithgow. The resulting Hillhead Picture Salon

opened in October 1913, and seated 630 in the stalls of a comfortable

auditorium, and 133 in a small balcony, accessed by a stair to the

right of the entrance. Projection facilities were at the rear of the

stalls, under the balcony, and the screen within the proscenium was

simply cement. The hand-drafted plans also include a 'stall for sweets'

at the rear left of the stalls, and a lovely detail of a very posh lady

with big hat standing in the main entrance... clearly a sign of the

type of clientele the cinema hoped to attract, given that it was

described as 'Elegantly Furnished Throughout'!

The cinema was constructed using the 'Hennebique Ferroconcrete System',

and the plans note in particular its use in the roof, operators room,

lavatories and gallery (including the steppings).

Extracts from the 1912 plans, which were clearly modified during building. Courtesy of Chris Doak.

The building is

therefore a rare early use of ferroconcrete framing (in order to be

fireproof), and the combination of this early exposed concrete

structure with marvellous fruite belle epoque plasterwork makes the

ceiling treatment and roof structure in particular very special indeed.

This construction method did not catch on for cinemas, despite its advantages,

because architects considered it slower than steel-based approaches

(the only other known cinema building that did use the same method was the

similarly-named Salon in Sauchiehall Street).

In

the aristocratic neighbourhood of Hillhead, we are to have a luxurious

picture house. It will be opened this month, and will be known as the

Hillhead Picture Salon. The site is in Byres Road at the Botanic

Gardens. Seating accommodation will be provided for 500 persons. The

building, which is nothing if not roomy, will be handsomely furnished.

A pretty colour-scheme of rose de barry and blue has been adopted. The

architect is Mr George M Brand. The best pictures the world can supply

will be projected in the most up-to-date fashion. Mr Herr Iff's

celebrated orchestra will provide the music, an attraction in itself.

  • The Entertainer and Scottish Kinema Record , October 4th, 1913, p14

One of the first suburban cinemas in Glasgow, the Hillhead Salon was

also notable for housing a full orchestra, and for serving tea and

biscuits to its patrons during the afternoon! Until 1914 and the

outbreak of war, the orchestra was conducted by Herr

Iff, and the prices of admission were 6d for the front stalls, 9d for

the rear, and a shilling for the balcony.

When the Booth family ran the Salon, the entrance was wood panelled,

and the ticket machine was electric - you pressed a button for one or

however many tickets were required, and a motor whirred and ticket came

out. Upon opening the wooden doors with scrolled brass handles, a

velvet curtain on a brass tubular rail fixed on the barrier behind the

back row of stalls seats was revealed.

In the centre of the auditorium ceiling there was an oval house light,

and on the side walls in the middle of the plaster work panels were

lights with shades with a 3D hexagonal shape with black lines round

them - in the 1950s these were still gas lights, and the doorman went

round with his pole to dowse them just before the main lights went up

and the National Anthem was played. In front of the stage there was an

orchestra pit with the rail sloping up from the centre, and at the at

outer sides of the rail there were big round ball lights.

Exterior

Foyer

View to front

View to rear

Photos from 1982, courtesy of the Scottish Screen Archive at National Library of Scotland

To get to the projection room you had to go in through the Gents toilet

door and turn right. All this was altered when it was done up in the

1970s, when Westrex projection and sound equipment were put in - two

projectors then changed to a single projector with tower, and Xenon and

transistor sound. Until the 1960s, the Salon was paying the next-door

Western Baths £200 a year to provide steam for its heating, and had

cause to complain several times of insufficient supply!

The Salon sold books of five tickets at a discount over the full price - this was a good deal, especially for students.

Salon in 1984

Courtesy John & David Anderson

Alterations took place in 1931 by James McKissack (presumably to add sound facilities), and then again

in 1940 by Burnet and Boston, by which time it seated 544. By 1969 it

was quite run down, and was bought by new owners Fyfe and Fyfe, who

closed it for renovations (including replacing the original, leaking

dome) and renamed it simply the Salon. The first film on re-opening in

April 1970 was The Sound of Music.

In 1977, the Salon was listed Category B

by Historic Scotland, one of the first cinemas in Scotland to be given

this honour. In 1988, it was sold to Caledonian Associated Cinemas, who

also owned the nearby Grosvenor .

The photos below were taken in 1990 (courtesy Bruce Peter), and show

the stunning interior after being redecorated by CAC, who also

installed a new screen - the original proscenium was by this time

hidden by the later cinemascope screen.

The Salon closed suddenly on 12th October 1992, when staff turned up

for work to find themselves locked out. Despite a huge public outcry

and campaign to re-open it as a cinema, it remained derelict until it

was converted into a Littlejohn's Restaurant in November 1999.

This was a generally tasteful restoration of much of the original

interior - especially the barrel-vaulted ceiling and plasterwork

details on the side walls - with silent film clips shown on a screen within

the original proscenium.

The balcony was walled in at this point to

provide toilet and office space upstairs, with kitchens and toilets

downstairs. A reproduction of an earlier period canopy was also

introduced to replace the more modern 1970s lightbox of the final cinema years.

Littlejohn's closed for refurbishment in April 2001, shortly after being purchased (along with the nearby Grosvenor Cinema ) by the Glasgow-based G1 Group - click here

for more pictures of the Salon after closure as Littlejohn's Restaurant.

The building re-opened as the Gong Bar/Restaurant on 6th October 2001.

This refurbishment had installed a new lowered, neon ceiling, hidden

most of the original features inside, and added 2 separate mezzanine

levels inside the shell, as well as opening up a new window into the

balcony where the canopy used to be. The bar at the rear occupied the

space of the original balcony, with a flat floor and accessed via a new

central stair. A similar raised bar area was at the screen end, with the

raked stalls floor levelled.

However, according to the council at the

time of these alterations, " the original raked auditorium floor, and

the decorative plasterwork to the walls and ceiling are all retained in

situ and are capable of being re-instated ". The only original areas exposed were the fire-exits on either side of the screen, which had

their wooden doors intact.

In August 2006, G1 Group filed a new planning application to further alter the building, by replacing the

Glasgow-style art nouveau panels on the exterior with similar designs

in back-lit glass, to open out the entrance vestibule by removing the

modern glass doors, to insert three sky-lights in the ceiling to get

more light into the building, and to extend the balcony level right

across to the screen, creating an additional 60 square metres of

floorspace for the restaurant.

Restored ceiling gallery

This

application was later revised to remove the proposed skylights, scale

back the floor extensions, and to reveal and restore most of the

original decorative ceiling and upper side walls. The revamped venue re-opened as The Salon

on Friday 20th July, 2007. With most of the original ceiling revealed

and restored, a set of false illuminated windows forming a focus at the

screen end, and a simplified reproduction of the original canopy above

the entrance, the new Salon is set to be a success for years to come.

In 2008, Historic Scotland upgraded the listed status of the building to Category A - the highest possible level, in view of its unique architectural importance.

References

Official

Gong/Salon

website

Original Plans, Mitchell Library Ref. B4/12/1912/329

A Hillhead Album, Morton, 1973, p93

Along Great Western Road, Urquhat, 2000, p185

100 Years of Glasgow's Glorious Cinemas, Peter, 1996, p111

Buildings of Scotland: Glasgow, Williamson, Riches, Higgs, 1990, p353

Cinemas of Cinema City, Louden, 1983, p70

The Glasgow Story website, Salon page

Klondyke of the Cinema World, Doak, 1979, Fig 34

Cinemas in Britain, Richard Gray, 1996, p27

Cathedrals of the Movies, Atwell, 1981, p30

Story of the Western Baths Hillhead, Mann, 2000, p43

Thanks to Frank Watson and Jim Mitchell for their memories of the building.

Last updated: 16/8/26 at 09:47 by gbarr