ScottishCinemas.orgARCHIVE & DIRECTORY
Open

GLASGOW CINEMA RECORD

Grosvenor

194, Byres Rd/Ashton Lane

View location on Google Mapsgrosvenorpicturetheatre.co.uk →
Grosvenor, GlasgowView full size

Telephone: 0141 339 8444
Website: www.grosvenorcinema.co.uk

Status: Open (Cinema, Bar & Restaurant)

Current Cinema

  • Screens: 2
  • Capacity: 104 seats per screen

The Grosvenor Cinema reopened to the public on 28 November 2003 following an 18-month closure and a major redevelopment programme. A special film industry launch event took place on 26 November 2003, marking the rebirth of Glasgow’s last remaining suburban cinema.

The two auditoria occupy approximately the same ground-floor location as before, but are now complemented by The Lane bar, with an entrance from Ashton Lane, and The Loft, a large first-floor bar and restaurant. The Loft showcases the fully restored ceiling of the original auditorium, with film memorabilia displayed throughout.

Both screens feature spacious luxury leather seating, with leather sofas available for hire in the back row. Each auditorium is around one-third smaller than the previous layout. The original Westrex tower projectors were refurbished and returned to service, while both screens retained full masking, although without tabs.

The entire complex is fully licensed, allowing patrons to take drinks into the auditoria.

Programming includes mainstream releases, classic films and arthouse titles, while maintaining long-standing Grosvenor traditions such as late-night screenings and Saturday morning children’s clubs.

The interior has since been refurbished again since then with a retro style historic interior.

History

The Grosvenor opened in May 1921, operated by Glasgow Grosvenor Ltd. It originally contained a single auditorium seating 1,337, entered through a grand foyer on Byres Road, which also housed a café and soda fountain.

ABC Cinemas acquired the cinema in 1929, operating it until 1976, when it was purchased by Caledonian Associated Cinemas. By then, seating had been reduced to approximately 1,035.

In 1980, reportedly following structural subsidence associated with nearby Glasgow Subway extension works, the original Byres Road entrance was abandoned and later demolished. A new entrance was created on Ashton Lane at the rear of the building. The balcony was closed permanently, and the former stalls were divided lengthways to create two luxury cinemas:

  • The Ashton – 276 seats
  • The Kelvin – 253 seats

In 2001, as Caledonian withdrew from cinema exhibition, the building was sold to Glasgow-based G1 Group, owners of the nearby Hillhead Salon Picture House (now Gong Restaurant).

The cinema closed for “refurbishment” on 30 June 2002, although building work did not begin until early 2003. The redevelopment was so extensive that the structure was effectively reduced to three walls and a roof before an entirely new steel framework was constructed inside the retained shell. A completely new façade was also created to integrate the building with the surrounding Ashton Lane streetscape.

Last updated: 16/8/26 at 09:46 by gbarr