ScottishCinemas.orgARCHIVE & DIRECTORY
Demolished

GLASGOW CINEMA RECORD

Granada

1321, Duke St, Parkhead

View location on Google Maps
Granada, GlasgowView full size

The Granada opened in 1935, with seating for 2,400. It had a full-height fly tower and a large stage. The original façade was much taller and reminiscent of a skyscraper. The metal cladding dates from the conversion to bingo.

The building was used for bingo until 1995, after which it remained derelict until its demolition in 2001.

Photographs of the huge interior during its use as a bingo hall are courtesy of Kevin Gooding. Archive images are courtesy of the Scottish Screen Archive at the National Library of Scotland.
Exterior photographs dating from circa 1980 and circa 1985 are courtesy of Chris Doak.

In August 2001, demolition had begun, as evidenced by the scaffolding appearing around the auditorium. One view shows the layout of the foyer in relation to the wide auditorium, with the fly tower in the background.

Photographs of the demolition work show a little coloured decoration remaining on one interior wall. This decoration and colour scheme can also be seen in photographs of the interior, courtesy of Kevin Gooding.

Last updated: 15/8/26 at 08:13 by gbarr