Cranston's Cinema De Luxe
Cranston's Cinema De Luxe / Classic
15 Renfield Street, City Centre
Opened May 1916, seating 850,
Cranston's DeLuxe was part of a large development by Glasgow based
businesswoman Miss Cranston, which also included restaurants and
tea-rooms.
A second cinema, the News Theatre, opened 1954; a third (Tatler Cinema
Club) also opened in 1969.
Complex was sold and renamed the Classic Film Centre in 1972 (3
screens: 644, 220, 136 seats). Closed 1981 after a bad fire; all but
the facade was later demolished.
See pictures of the facade lit up at night here .
Building is listed, Grade
B
Photos of the exterior as the Classic Film Centre in 1983 courtesy Chris Doak
Photos from 1990 courtesy of Chris Doak.
Images above courtesy of Bill Mather, former Scottish Controllor for Classic Cinemas, later owner of the WMR in Irvine .
One
shows front of house and the other is circle; this was taken for a
screening of the film "GOAL" for the funding of the Ibrox disaster.








