ScottishCinemas.orgARCHIVE & DIRECTORY
Closed/Repurposed

GLASGOW CINEMA RECORD

Ascot

Other names: Gaumont – Odeon

1544, Great Western Rd

View location on Google Maps
Ascot, GlasgowView full size

The B-listed Ascot opened in December 1939, after construction was delayed by the declaration of war and subsequent alterations were made to strengthen the roof, providing better shelter in the event of bombing. Designed by McNair & Elder, it originally seated 1,963.

Picture courtesy of www.mawgrim.co.uk.

It was renamed Gaumont in 1950. When that chain was taken over by Odeon, it was renamed Odeon in 1964, before closing as a cinema in 1975.

It operated as a County bingo hall from 1975 until 1998, then remained empty until demolition began in 2001.

Part of the frontage was retained, with new flats built behind it where the auditorium once stood. A couple of photographs show the building as it is now, lit up at night. Other photographs were taken during various stages of the demolition, including interior views taken during demolition, thanks to Frank Watson.

Photographs dating from circa 1980 courtesy of Chris Doak.

Images of the foyer courtesy of the Scottish Screen Archive at the National Library of Scotland.

Last updated: 14/8/26 at 18:35 by gbarr