ScottishCinemas.orgARCHIVE & DIRECTORY
Demolished

FRASERBURGH CINEMA RECORD

Picture House

Other names: King's

High Street

View location on Google Maps
Picture House, FraserburghView full size

30 Mid Street

Opened 1921. Designed by Sutherland and George. Now a bingo

hall .

Exterior photo courtesy of Norrie Mcnamee.

Interior view from c.1950 showing a full house during a Christmas

Pantomime performance.

Courtesy of Robert Henderson, Fraserburgh Heritage

Centre .

Empire Picture Palace

Opened in former Riddell's skating rink.

Demolished

Playhouse

Now demolished.

Demolition gallery here ,

courtesy of George Basterfield and Eric Morrice.

Additional earlier photo

courtesy of Derek Mathieson

Ideal Kinema: April 6, 1939: Playhouse

Fraserburgh

Fraserburgh's new

kinema, the Playhouse, which was opened at the beginning

of March, is due to the enterprise of Caledonian

Associated Cinemas, Ltd., Major Cattanach, of Kingussie

being the architect.

Work on the erection of the kinema has been carried out

since last autumn, when the former buildings were

acquired. Houses which stood on the site have been

removed, and in their place there now stands in High

Street the handsome cream frontage.

The floors and steps of the entrance hall are finished

in a fine design of terrazzo in delicate shades of

creamy white, bordered with green and black, which

harmonises with the wall colours and gives an air of

luxury to the hall.

Through wide doors entrance is gained to a comfortable

foyer of 30ft width, from which a double staircase rises

to the balcony. The colour scheme is pleasing and

restful to the eye, the hall and staircase being tinted

in two tones of fresh green over the mahogany dado.

Silver, orange, emerald and violet, painted in a light

filigree design, break the plain surface, and give an

interest to the whole design.

The architectural lines of the auditorium have been

accentuated by the scheme of colours, which is based on

orange tints, gold green and black in well-disposed

touches.

The auditorium is seated with the latest type of tip-up

chairs.

In the balcony, the chairs are coloured green to match

the surroundings, the back stalls are finished in brown

moquette and the front stalls are blue. The balcony has

accomodation for 261 persons and the stalls for 774, so

that the total seating capacity is 1,035.

Alfred Harold (Uniforms) Ltd., were responsible for the

dressing of the staff here, the male staff being in

emerald green with gold braid and the girls in green

trimmed blue and gold.

A well-equipped and spacious projection room is

incorporated in the Playhouse in which Kalee projectors

are installed, operating with BTH sound.

Contractos for work in this theatre included: Joinery

and masonry, R Perk, Montrose; decorating, A McDonald,

Forres; electrical installation, TC Smith, Aberdeen.

Last updated: 29 July 2026