ScottishCinemas.orgARCHIVE & DIRECTORY
Demolished

EDINBURGH CINEMA RECORD

Poole's Synod Hall

Castle Terrace

View location on Google Maps
Poole's Synod Hall, EdinburghView full size

Poole's Synod Hall

Opened in 1875 as theatre, by architects J Murray Bell and FT Pilkington. Used as the UP Synod Hall from 1877.

Poole's Diorama shows from around 1906. Converted to a full-time cinema from 1928.

Closed on 30th October 1965. Demolished, March-April, 1966.

Photos from October 1965 courtesy of the Scottish Screen Archive at the National Library of Scotland and Genni Poole..

Last updated: 15 August 2026