ScottishCinemas.orgARCHIVE & DIRECTORY
Demolished

EDINBURGH CINEMA RECORD

North British Electric Theatre

18, Nicolson Street

View location on Google Maps
North British Electric Theatre, EdinburghView full size

Cinema House, Nicholson Street

Cinema House, Nicholson Street

The former Cinema House in

Nicholson St, Edinburgh has been demolished in 2004. This opened as the

North

British Electric Theatre in 1903. It was later renamed the Cinema

House, and in 1911 was attempting to compete in the cut-throat

Edinburgh cinema marked by offering free afternoon teas. It became The

Imperial for a time during the First World War, and seated around 500.

Became part of the Gaumont circuit in 1928, before closing in 1930. It

was later a Salvation Army citadel, but has been sitting derict for

several years. The long, low auditorium was in the back-court of

tenements, next to the Royal Surgeons Hall.

Last updated: 15 August 2026