ScottishCinemas.orgARCHIVE & DIRECTORY
Closed/Repurposed

EDINBURGH CINEMA RECORD

New Victoria

Other names: Odeon

7, Clerk Street

View location on Google Maps
New Victoria, EdinburghView full size

The New Victoria opened

on 25th August 1930. It was designed for the

Gaumont company by the architects WE Trent & JW Jordan, with

seating for 2,058. (Trent's only other cinema north of the border, also

for Gaumont, is in Alloa ).

The small foyer led to a long, curving stalls lounge. The auditorium

was in classical Greek style, with figurines in niches lining the

walls. A curving collonade ran round the rear of the balcony, and

several private boxes lined the rear of the stalls. The original

proscenium was flanked by 6 full-height pillars on each side. Full

stage and dressing room facilities were provided.

CinemaScope was installed in 1954, and the proscenium was widened and

brought forward and the pillars hidden by curtains in 1958 to allow

'South Pacific' to be shown in 70mm. The auditorium was also

modernised, and lights were fitted

to the ceiling to create the effect of a sitting out under a starry

sky in 1960. The seating was also reduced to around 1,784. In April

1964,

the building was renamed the Odeon.

In 1974, the building was B-listed as, in the words of Historic

Scotland, " An

outstanding

example of the work of the most famous British cinema

specialists ."

The stage was made deeper in 1978, and the building was often used for

live music shows such as The Clash.

In

1982, the auditorium was subdivided, with two new cinemas created in

the original rear stalls area. The original balcony became Screen 1.

Due to the listed status of the building, this was done in a reversible

manner, with the original decoration retained. In 1989, two more

screens were created - one on the stage and front stalls area; the

other above this in space above the stage. A replica of part of the

original proscenium was created for Screen 1, directly in front of the

original, which remained hidden but intact.

Screen 1 replica proscenium

In 2003, Odeon sold the

building (along with the Odeon

Renfield Street in Glasgow) to a property developer. The cinema

closed on 30th August 2003, with many of the staff transferring to the

new miniplex Odeon that was opened on the site of the old ABC Lothian Road . At the time of closure,

there were 5 screens, seating: 1: 639 (original circle), 2: 292 (left

rear stalls), 3: 201 (right rear stalls), 4: 261 (stage and front

stalls), 5: 107 (above 4 on stage).

In August 2004 the building was

temporarily used as a Edinburgh Festival Fringe venue called Pod Deco - each of the screens was

a

separate stage used for comedy and drama. Temporary seating was used,

and in

Screen 1, a new lighting rig was suspended from the ceiling. Curtains

hid the lack of screen.

Especially

nice was the re-opening of

the cafe area as a bar, and being able to

sit

out on the balcony

on a summer

evening having a drink. The Pod people had expressed an interest in

running

the building as an all-year round venue, although nothing came of this.

In February 2005, plans

were lodged with Edinburgh City Council to demolish the auditorium

entirely, and build student flats on the site. Only the facade would be

retained under this scheme, although it too would be modified by the

addition of an extra glass floor above the current roof-level. This

scheme was thankfully eventually withdrawn. It is understood that some

other parties may have expressed interest in

utilising the building for other uses, and the ultimate fate of the

building is far from certain at present.

In August 2005, the building was once again used as a fringe venue, called C Electric , and the main Screen 1 was being used to show classic films, projected from 35mm film, for the duration of the Festival.

A selection of photos from

the Odeon's closing night in August 2003 are available here , courtesy of

Stuart Kelly.

Another selection of closing night photos from Graham Hughes are available here .

A

selection of interior photos from 1982 courtesy of Alistair Kerr

are available here .

A selection of interior

photos from 2002/2003 are available here .

A gallery

of exterior photos taken in April 2004 here ,

showing how closely surrounded

by buildings the auditorium is.

Then and now photos - what original decoration survives in the Odeon as

it is in 2005?

Foyer

Stalls Lounge

Cafe

Auditorium Front (1930s)

Auditorium Front (1960s)

Auditorium Rear

Click here for a full photo tour of the inside of the building circa 2005.

(Many thanks to Iain Stewart of Duddingston House Properties and the very nice people at C Venues

for

allowing us access to record the interior.)

Images courtesy of Frank Watson / Scottish Cinema Organ Trust

John McDougall at the 2/10

Wurlitzer organ

External Link: this website on

the Odeon

Edinburgh features more interior photos, as

well as a newspaper report of the opening of the cinema in 1930.

Technical details (courtesy George Will & Geoff Ruderham):

Cinema 1 (35mm & 70mm) From 1956 onwards Philips DP70’s. (35/70mm Projectors)

At closure; Cinemeccanica Victoria 9 with Christie table (Non Rewind system) also

Sound before closure Dolby Digital, Dolby S.R., Dolby Stereo & DTS.

Cinema 2, (35mm only) Cinemeccanica Victoria 5 with Christie table (Non Rewind system) Sound Dolby S.R

A unique interlock system was installed between 2&3 so they could share one print at busy times.

Cinema 3, (35mm only) Cinemeccanica Victoria 5 with Christie Non Rewind system Sound Dolby S.R

Cinema 4, (35mm only) Cinemeccanica Victoria 5 with Christie Non Rewind system Sound Dolby Stereo

Cinema 5, (35mm only) Cinemeccanica Victoria 5 with Christie Non Rewind system Sound Dolby Stereo

Last updated: 20/8/26 at 22:14 by gbarr