Portobello Cinemas Opened 1915 as New Picture House. Renamed Central, then George from 1942-1954, then Central again until closure in 1961. Bingo, then nightclub use followed. Now only the facade remains fronting new flats. Photo of it before rebuilding in 1977 here, courtesy of Alastair Kerr.
Archive catalogue notes: o. 1915. Central P H., 1920, then New Central. Altered, 1933. Arch. James Dunn & Partners. Taken over by G.P. and named George, 12.11.42. Reverted to New Central,1954, when G.P. took over the County. Cl. 2.12.61. Bingo, then nightclub, then restaurant. Dem. for flats.
Operator (archive catalogue): GP



