ScottishCinemas.orgARCHIVE & DIRECTORY
Closed/Repurposed

EDINBURGH CINEMA RECORD

Caley

21-31, Lothian Road

View location on Google Maps
Caley, EdinburghView full size

The Caley opened in January 1923 in a partial conversion of an older building, with 900 seats. The original architects were Richardson & Mackay, of Dick, Peddie & Mackay.

In 1928, it was enlarged for talkies to seat 1,800. James McKissack added the stained glass and mansard roof, and the auditorium was realigned to run parallel to the street.

The building was B-listed in 1974. It closed to films in 1984 and was subsequently used as a nightclub. It is currently empty following the closure of the nightclub.

A gallery of current interior photographs can be seen, thanks to Pete Naples.

1929 archive images courtesy of the Scottish Screen Archive at the National Library of Scotland.

1983 archive images courtesy of the Scottish Screen Archive at the National Library of Scotland.

External Links

Some blueprints can be seen on CANMORE.

Last updated: 14/8/26 at 18:25 by gbarr