95, Main Street
Picture House
Edit ↗View location on Google Maps
Photos courtesy of Paul Francis, taken June 1985.This opened in the later
1920’s. It had a proper balcony and separate foyer, with a total of
1200 seats. The cinema side was equipped with Kalee 19’s and Westrex
sound system, and was also fully equipped for theatre use. Entry to the
projection room was via the back row of the balcony through a door on
the left side (facing screen). The projection room was small and
cramped, as it also contained lighting for theatre productions.
Closed in late 60’s as a cinema due to lack of patronage, the stalls
were cleared and refitted with tables and chairs to become bingo hall
in 1970. The balcony and projection room remained as was when the
place was converted, but the stage had been totally redone for bingo.
The bingo company failed and by late 78 the place was left derelict.
Demolished 2000.
A view of the rear of the auditorium is available
Information courtesy of John Millin.

