ScottishCinemas.orgARCHIVE & DIRECTORY

TOWN COLLECTION

Arbroath

8 buildings

8 cinemas recorded in the Scottish Cinemas archive.

7 mapped cinemas · View map →
Demolished

James Street

Palace

View location on Google MapsPalace, ArbroathPhoto above courtesy of Paul Francis, circa 1985.

Opened May 1940 by ABC, designed by

architect WR Glen to seat 1,488. Passed to JB Milne, October 1963.

Part-week bingo from mid-60s. Sold to Kingsway Ents, early 1970s. Bingo

only from 1984. Sold to Border Movies Ltd, late 1985. Films reinstated

(balcony only). Stalls became roller rink, 1988. Closed 1991. Demolished December 1992

for housing.

Interior pictures c1982, courtesy of the Scottish Screen Archive.

Additional pictures (courtesy of Paul Francis) are available

here and

Palace [II]

The building above was on the site of the earlier Palace , which opened on October 1914, seating 1,150. Sold to JB Milne,

  1. Absorbed into SCVT, 1917. It was closed and demolished in April 1939.

This in turn was on the site of the even earlier Arbroath Picture Hall / Palace [I]

which had opened in September 1909 in the former Arbroath Theatre of

1901 (itself the former Inverbrothock Free Church). Renamed the Palace

in 1910, it was demolished in June 1914.

DATABASE RECORDS

Other Arbroath cinemas

These cinemas are recorded in the database but do not yet have a linked photographic page. Do you have a photo or other information? Email us!

NameAddressWhat we know
Arbroath Picture HallOther names: PalaceJames Street Opened 1909 · Closed 1914 · o. c. 9.09 in Arbroath Theatre of 1901 (former Inverbrothock Free Church). Renamed, 1910. Demolished for new Palace, 6.14. · Demolished
Melvin'sOther names: Arbroath Picture HallJames Street Programme: Cine-variety · Building type: church · Opened: 1909 · Closed: 1914 · Source: The Bioscope 06.10.10, The Bioscope 01.01.14 · Coordinates: 56.562095, -2.584376 · Info from EarlyCinema.org.uk
PavilionRussell Street Opened 1911 · Closed 1914 · o. 13.2.11 in skating rink of 1909 (part still used as rink). Rink section dismantled, 1911. Sold to W Maxwell, c. 1913. Cl. 9.14. Requisitioned by military. Demolished, late teens or early 20s. · Demolished

Last updated: 18/8/26 at 19:24 by gbarr