Photo above courtesy Norrie Mcnamee. Opened 1911 in former Northern Hall of c.1885. Closed 1940. Became City Ballroom, then Maxine's, then Locarno Ballroom. Cl. 1.55. Used as workshop. Dem. 1979 for car park.
It had a gallery round three sides. In 1978, the screen was long gone, replaced by the big window, but the pale green-and-cream colour scheme was relatively intact.
Archive shots courtesy Jim Brooks







